Caunton supplied and erected the steelwork for the new North Stand of one of rugby’s best supported teams, Leicester Tigers. The stand itself is part of an ambitious 10-year programme to redevelop its Welford Road ground into a modern 30,000 seat stadium complete with a raft of facilities.
The logistical challenge for this project was that the club needed to retain operation of all four sides of the ground during the rugby season. To address this, Caunton erected the steelwork for the new stand’s roof including a 108m long king truss and the upper portion of the stand above the old wooden stand. The previous stand was then demolished to clear the ground for the lower level to be infilled.
The impressive 108m long truss, which is visible for miles around, is 35m high by 12m deep and was delivered to site in more than 140 separate pieces. It was assembled on ground and then erected in one tandem lift during a long 15 hour procedure.
The new stand features a number of amenities and below the seating area it has four internal levels. Ground floor comprises the main concourse and entrance area as well as a 700-people capacity match day bar. Above this on the first floor there is a 1,000-seat function suite, a second floor concourse and a third floor plant area.
The impressive new stand is 24m high compared to the 8.5m high stand originally built in the 1920’s. An ambitious yet highly successful contract by Caunton.